• A
  • A
  • A
  • ABC
  • ABC
  • ABC
  • А
  • А
  • А
  • А
  • А
Regular version of the site

Before You Go Abroad

After your nomination for exchange by CISM

We recommend to set deadlines for each of the actions listed below, using a checklist:

Checklist Fall (pdf) 
Checklist Spring (pdf)
Application for participation in exchange program 

— Attend HSE Orientation Session

For whom?

HSE students going on an exchange abroad are obligated to attend an HSE orientation session either:

  • in person (for Moscow students);
  • through our webinars (for students from other HSE campuses).


  • Ask your questions;
  • Get recommendations on how to prepare;
  • Learn more about a hosting institution first-hand.



Fall semester: April - May 2020 (further datails TBD).
Spring semester: November - December 2020 (further datails TBD).

—  Make a budget

Calculate spendings on:

  • visa;
  • transportation;
  • medical insurance;
  • living costs (food, etc.);
  • incidental expenses.
    Mobility Budget Planning template (DOCX.)
    *Approximate expenses can be calculated on NUMBEO website.

If a third party awards you with a scholarship, please mind you will possibly receive your first allowance after the first month of studies. Be ready to cover all the expenses during this period from your own money.

—  Register at a hosting  institution

The details on how to register are provided:

  • by a mobility coordinator of a hosting institution;
  • via Program catalogue;
  • via search on the Internet.

NB! Carefully follow the deadlines for registration at a hosting institution and for applications for dormitories.

—  Apply for a visa

Make sure your passport will be valid for the appropriate period beyond the end of your exchange. Consult with an embassy/consulate/visa center where you will be applying for a visa.

NB! You can apply for a visa no earlier than 3 months and no later than 1 month before your departure.

—  Prepare for your departure
  • Check the list of things you need to take with you.
  • Check the recommendations for a foreigner in a country of your stay on the website of a Ministry of Foreign Affairs of your country.